Friday, March 14, 2014

Making connections

I know, I know...I missed a day. And I'm fine with that.

It's Spring Break, so Jim and I have come up to Bristol for a bit to spend time with family. Of course, the NASCAR race is in town this weekend, so moving around town is going to be a bit tricky. And we'll see how long it takes Jim and I to get out of town when we head home on Sunday (DURING the race when most of the crazies will be confined to the stands of the racetrack).

Last night, my niece came over with my brother, and while she was sitting with us all, we started chatting about her English class at school. There has been great upheaval in this class due to the teacher's murder at the hands of her abusive husband (another story for another time, but if you're interested, see here). As my niece and I talked, she started mentioning the stories and novels they had read. In addition to being encouraged that there actually are still teachers out there who teach real literature, I was also thrilled to be talking with my niece about metaphor and theme and symbolism. As she talked, she said that at the beginning of the semester, she had been like John Smith in the scene in Disney's "Pocahontas" where the mother tree ripples the water and John Smith can't see the meaning in it. But now, said my niece, she can see the meaning in works of literature (yeah - she used a movie metaphor to describe herself - she's so rad).

We talked about "The Yellow Wallpaper" and Edgar Allen Poe and The Scarlet Letter. I kind of geeked out on it all, but it was such a wonderful way to connect with my niece...something I've been wanting to do for sometime now. She's a lovely girl, intelligent, thoughtful, kind. I feel drawn to her, and I love her dearly. She's been through a rough patch recently, and it was reassuring to see her and hear her thoughts.

I hope to spend more time with her in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment