Saturday, March 15, 2014

History night

Last night, I got to talk literature with my oldest niece, Lauren. Tonight, Jim got to talk history with our younger niece, Whitney. She's in fourth grade, and she's fascinated by history, especially the wars. She started the conversation by asking Jim what started World War I. Jim did the best he could to explain the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and the alliances of various countries on either side. She loved it. And then I told her about Wiley Neal, her ancestor (and mine) that died in France during WWI...exactly one week before the armistice. I showed her pictures of him. I felt so lucky to be able to show her those and to tell her Wiley's story. And it was so cool to listen to Jim talk with her. What a great trip this has been!

Now, to avoid the race traffic as we head back home tomorrow! Thanks, NASCAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment