Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lent

I didn't grow up in a church that observed Lent (or any part of the liturgical year), and I'm sorry about that fact. I won't go into it all, but I feel that the seasons observed in the liturgical year give depth and meaning to our journeys as Christians.

Anywho, for Lent this year, I'm not giving something up. I'm adding something. Now this isn't a novel idea that I dreamed up on my own - many folks do this for these 40 days.

I'm adding writing. This sounds strange, I know, since I teach writing at a community college and I direct the school's writing program. I'm surrounded by writing; I write every day as part of my job. And that's probably one of the reasons I want to add THIS writing.

For the next 40 days, I'm going to write on this blog every day. Now, this isn't some kind of personal challenge like the 30-Day Squat Challenge or a cleanse or whatever. If that was my only motivation, then it wouldn't make sense to do this for Lent. I could do it anytime of the calendar year. However, the fact that I'm doing this intentionally for the Lenten season means that I'm going to write about my own journey as a Christian.

Let me tell you that this scares me. I don't have all the answers, so don't expect to come here reading an inspiring, youth-group-on-steroids kind of Bible study. In fact, I have a heck of a lot of questions. That's probably where I'll start, the persistent questions I have, and some of the ideas that I'm mulling over now as they pertain to my faith.

I totally understand if some of you want to block this website for the next 40 days. Feel free to do so...I'm tempted to do so myself. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment