Saturday, July 16, 2011

A few thoughts on Aachen...

Not that it really matters what I think in the world of international dressage, but watching the Aachen CDI the other day and reading subsequent articles about the results got me to thinking. 

Steffen's ride was beautiful.  Ravel's half passes were fluid and his transitions were seamless.  The extended canter took my breath away; it looked like he covered the diagonal in three strides.  His ride should have scored better. 

Totilas looked much more pleasant.  Now, I'm not a Totilas basher, per se, but I haven't liked what I've seen.  Sure, he's flashy and bouncy, but the tightness, the poll dipping very low, and the absolute lack of hind end engagement in the trot lengthenings just irks me.  I can't see how he has been scored so phenomenally well.  However, under his new rider (whom I DO NOT envy for having to follow up the Gal/Totilas freak show), Totilas looked much more fluid.  His passage and piaffe were not so extravagant; no hooves flashing up by his ears.  His throatlatch was more open; his frame was longer and more swingy.  Here's an article that gets to the point a little better than I do.

And video of the black wonder horse...
I'm disappointed that Steffen and Ravel didn't score/place better.  I really do love that team.  However, I am glad to see what Rath is doing with Totilas.  The horse looks happy; despite a few bobbles, they were scored fairly consistently across the board and in keeping with the quality of their work.  Well, done, Toto.

No comments:

Post a Comment